Despite the name, sweet potatoes are not a type of potato, but a root vegetable. Usually orange in the UK, may also be purple or white on the inside. They can be baked, roasted, fried, grilled, steamed or boiled, and they also blend and puree well. When pureed, they make a useful vegetarian filling for dishes like quesadillas and falafel.
Their sweetness also makes them good candidates for use in baking, such as B. in carrot cake or brownies. There is a traditional way in the US to bake them with maple syrup, add them to marshmallows in crepes, or use them like pumpkin in pies to sweeten them. And many other ways to cook, let’s refer to the ways to cook sweet potatoes through the article below
- There are two main types of sweet potatoes (although there are more than 400 varieties): those with orange flesh that become soft and moist when cooked, and those with white flesh that become crispier when cooked.
- White-fleshed sweet potatoes are sometimes called white sweet potatoes, but are also known as batata, batata dulce, camote, and Cuban sweet potatoes.
- The sweet potato with orange flesh is called sweet potato, also known as yam. In the 1930s, when growers in Louisiana wanted to differentiate their orange-fleshed sweet potatoes from the white-fleshed sweet potatoes grown in New Jersey,
- Maryland, and Virginia, orange-fleshed sweet potatoes were called “yams.” Calling the yellow-fleshed sweet potato yam was just a marketing decision.
- Sweet potatoes – with white or orange flesh – can be prepared like potatoes: roasted, boiled, steamed, fried and roasted.
How to Choose a Sweet Potato
- Choose sweet potatoes with smooth, firm skins and no spots or bruises. Small and medium sweet potatoes taste better than large ones and can be fibrous. Avoid wilted, wrinkled, sticky, damp or sprouted sweet potatoes.
- Dark orange sweet potatoes have orange flesh (incorrectly called yams) and can be roasted, boiled, roasted, sautéed, or fried into fries. This sweet potato will cook moist and sweet.
- White-skinned sweet potatoes have thin skin and light yellow flesh. They become dry and crumbly after cooking and don’t taste sweet. This sweet potato is similar to a white baked potato.
How to Store Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes will keep for up to 2 weeks in a cool, dry, dark, well-ventilated place. But they are best used within a week of purchase.
Sweet potatoes should not be refrigerated.
How to Prepare Sweet Potatoes for Cooking
- Cook a sweet potato just as you would a regular potato—roast, boil, mash or bake. (White varieties can be substituted for regular potatoes in most recipes.)
- Baked sweet potato wedges
How to Bake a Sweet Potato
- Preheat oven to at least 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use a fork to prick the potato skins a few times; this allows the steam to escape.
- Lightly brush the bulbs with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place the bulbs on a foil-lined baking sheet or shallow dish.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on the size of the bulb, until the meat is tender and the skin is crispy.
- Serve with a drizzle of butter, salt and black pepper, or butter and a pinch of brown sugar, or with feta cheese, crumbled bacon, sour cream and fresh chives.
How to Roast a Sweet Potato
- Large tubers can be roasted with the skin on or peeled. Large tubers can be cut into thick wedges.
- Cook chopped tubers in microwave until soft but still firm, about 4 minutes. Or cook in salted water for about 10 minutes until tender.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread the tubers on a skillet or baking sheet. Drizzle the tubers with olive oil or fat and toss to coat. The bulbs should be evenly spread, and the surface of the pan should have a light, even layer of oil.
- Season with salt, dried herbs or spices.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the bottom is browned and a spatula glides smoothly underneath.
- Flip and continue frying until done, about 20 to 30 minutes.
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Peel two large sweet potatoes per person and cut into large pieces.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add one tablespoon of salt per gallon of water.
- Cook potatoes until very soft; after 10 minutes, start testing for tenderness.
- When potatoes are boiled, seasonings such as milk, cream, butter, buttermilk or broth are added
- Remove baby potatoes with a slotted spoon and drain with a slotted spoon. Reserve a cup of cooking water.
- Return the potatoes to the pot. Heat over low heat and shake until most of the steam dissipates.
- Add hot or warm flavors, purees and flavors. Season with salt. Repeat until pureed and season to your liking. Adjust the texture with boiling water.
- Serve immediately or cover tightly in a ceramic bowl and let stand for up to 30 minutes. To reheat cold mashed potatoes, place a bowl in a saucepan partially filled with water and simmer until potatoes are hot again.
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries
- Peel and slice the large sweet potatoes lengthwise into ⅜ to ½ inch thick slices, keeping the slices together.
- Quarter the slices and cut the slices into strips. Or cut potatoes into rounds, medium chunks or wedges.
- Soak cut potatoes in cold water for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Drain potatoes and pat dry.
- Place potatoes in a deep, heavy skillet, pour in vegetable oil to coat, and add an inch or two.
- Heat oil and potatoes and cook slowly until very tender, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Increase heat to medium. Fry the soft potatoes in the bubbling oil for another 10 to 15 minutes, until golden and crispy
- Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl lined with kitchen paper. Shake well and drain.
- Remove the paper towel. Add salt and shake again. Serve hot. .
How to Boil Sweet Potatoes
- If the potatoes are small, cook the sweet potatoes with their skins intact. Peel and quarter the larger potatoes.
- Cook in salted water (brine makes the potatoes more flavorful) until tender, that is, until a sharp knife can pirce the potato effortlessly.
- Drain the water and place the potatoes in a colander to dry. The potatoes will continue to cook for a while after they are removed from the boiling water.
- Serve hot with melted butter and chopped herbs, or drizzled with olive oil and lemon zest.
- Cooked potatoes can sit at room temperature for nearly an hour before the taste and texture will deteriorate.
- You can mash cooked sweet potatoes and potatoes for extra smoothness – add grated ginger and some grated cardamom.
- Sweet potatoes can be peeled before or after cooking .
How to Make Sweet Potato Soup
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut the tubers into quarters when they are large.
- Boil or microwave tubers until tender.
- In a blender, puree sweet potatoes with chicken or vegetable stock, then season with onions, carrots, apple or fresh ginger.
- Simmer the puree or reheat in the microwave and serve hot.
How to Make Sweet Potato Pie
- You can bake or steam orange sweet potatoes, then whip the mashed pulp with brown sugar, eggs, and heavy cream to make a sweet potato pie; then bake in a bowl.
>>> See more: How to grow cranberries
Sweet Potato Flavor Partners
- Sweet potatoes have a sweet and tangy flavor and are great with savory dishes that need a little sweetness, like turkey or pork.
- Sweet potatoes pair well with bourbon, brown sugar, butter, ginger, honey, oranges, pecans, rosemary, rum and spices.
Sweet Potato Nutrition
- The sweet potato is high in vitamins C and A.
Get to Know Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes look like potatoes and yams. But potatoes and yams are two different vegetables from two completely different plant families.
- Like potatoes, sweet potatoes are native to Central America. There are archaeological records of sweet potato cultivation in Peru more than 10,000 years ago.
- The real yam is a large starchy tuber of the Dioscoreae family. “Yam” is an English adaptation of Nyami, the Senegalese word for African tuber – bland and dry. The true yam most likely originated in West Africa thousands of years ago, but only spread to the Western Hemisphere in the past 500 years.
- The botanical name for sweet potatoes is Ipomea batatas.
Above is all the information about sweet potatoes and the ways to cook sweet potatoes that Answer The Question has synthesized, hopefully through the above article you can make this sweet potato dish yourself at home.